Wednesday 8 April 2015

University Challenge 2014-15: Grand Final Preview

Well, here we are people: the Grand Final of University Challenge. Two fine teams have deservedly made it to the Grand Final, and both would be deserving additions to the UC champions list. Those two teams are:
Magdalen College Oxford: Harry Gillow, Chris Savory, Hugh Binnie and Cameron J. Quinn.
and
Gonville & Caius College Cambridge: Ted Loveday, Michael Taylor, Anthony Martinelli and Jeremy Warner.

So, how did they get this far?

Magdalen defeated Pembroke College Cambridge (in controversial circumstances), the Open University, Trinity College Cambridge, Bristol and St Peter's College Oxford. They did, however, lose to Caius in the QFs (more on that later); they have recovered pretty well since though.

Caius defeated St Anne's College Oxford, Manchester (The Team Everyone Wants To Beat), Durham (twice) and Magdalen. They have been fairly consistently strong over the course of the series, though they did flag somewhat in the second half of their semi-final.

What about the raw stats? Well, Magdalen have played one match more than Caius and have acquired 1,400 points over six matches; Caius have acquired 1,165 points. If you look at the average points acquired, there is virtually nothing in it: Magdalen have averaged 233.33 points per match, Caius 233 points per match.

The average points conceded per match is virtually neck and neck too: Magdalen have averagely conceded 124.17 points per match, Caius 112 per match. So, does that make Caius slight favourites? Possibly, yes. After all, they have already defeated Magdalen once before.

It is worth remembering, however, that Magdalen led for most of that match, and only fell apart in the final minutes when Caius began to ace the buzzer race, and Caius' better bonus rate helped there too. Magdalen's bonus rate has improved somewhat since then.

It could, therefore, simply come down to a question of buzzer speed: Magdalen have two hot buzzers in the shape of Messrs Binnie and Quinn, while Caius, arguably, have three, in Messrs Loveday, Taylor and Martinelli. When both sides build up a head of steam, they really do go for it, and the other team generally is unable to stop them dead until it's way too late.

In the many years I have been covering UC on here and LAM, I have never seen two such closely matched teams in the final, though last year's final two teams were pretty evenly matched too. Their match in the QFs was one of the matches of the series; we can only hope they can match or better that match in terms of quality and tensity and give us the great final this series deserves.

All that remains is for me to wish these two fine teams the very best of (retrospective) luck, and I shall be back on Monday with my usual post-match write-up. See you then!

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree - in all the years that I've been watching UC, this is probably the most unpredictable final of them all. Both of our finalists this year have been fragile at times, but on storming form otherwise, and both of them would definitely deserve to win.

    That said, on the evidence of the semi-finals, I would give Magdalen a very slight edge. I first found out that Mssrs Savory, Binnie and Quinn were going to be on a team together just before my series came to an end, and I mentally tipped them for the final (or even the title) there and then - I think I made a cryptic post on this blog to that effect about a year ago. I hope I haven't given them the curse of Evans by saying this!

    Interestingly, this Magdalen-Caius pairing brings back memories (for the second time this series) of the Magdalen-Caius final in the 2003-04 series, which was the first final I ever watched. My inspiration to appear on UC myself only grew from there, so I can't wait to see the circle squared on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Magdalen are probably the form team going into the final, but then U.C.L. were the form team two series ago, and look what happened there.

      Delete
  2. I'm really confused by why people think Magdalen are the better team here. I mean. They've lost to Caius once already.

    Sure, it was a close-run thing, and I'd say the final is a coin-flip. But concluding that Magdalen are outright better? What?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gut feeling is that Magdalen will do it.

    In general, I think we are overdue for a "classic" final. The last one that really lived up to the billing, in terms of quality, excitement and high scoring, was Manchester v Corpus Christi in 2009. The rest since then have been either one-sided or damp squibs, so here's to a memorable finale and may the best team win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say last year's final was that damp a squib; it was pretty close until Filip and co sprinted away at the end. But, yes, since the turn of the decade, none of the finals have been terribly closely fought.

      Delete